Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Gender (Back to suggestions)

At some point during this post people might expect me to make some sort of sandwich joke or an insulting sweeping statement bordering on the misogynistic. I will resist temptation because I like having a girlfriend.

So somewhere along the 1900s, the world realised that women deserved some equality. When I say "the world", I mean women and I don't really blame them at all. It is quite sickening when you consider that the only times women were treated well was only when they were considered sex objects or mistresses. By 'well' I mean they were beaten less than the glorified housekeepers that the men referred to as their wives.

Does gender equality really exist though? The whole women-stay-home-and-take-care-of-children spirit is still rampant, in my humble and overly honest opinion. Out of all the countries in the supposedly 'civilised' world, I'd say maybe about 30% of them, at best, really even begin to grasp the notion of equal rights across gender and I don't get it.

I mean, let's look at as close to any semblance of fact as you'll ever see on this blog. How many men still within working age stay home to do the housework leaving the woman as the sole bread-winner? Considering the number of families, I'd say very very few. It could be argued that many women were raised by old-fashioned mothers and so their 'caring' instinct is much stronger than most men.

Considering the same vein of thought, men, themselves raised by old-fashioned parents, were probably conditioned into thinking that they should work hard, get a good job, put away some solid finances and then at a point settle down with a lovely little lady and make his parents very happy with a large number of grandchildren for them to coo over.

On a local note, I am disgusted by the propaganda on one particular TV station about women in the working environment. One specific campaign really gets on my tits. The whole premise is a woman bored and alone at home while her husband is at work and her children at school. A disembodied voice then points out to her that, wonder of wonders, she too can contribute to the working society! The end of this glorified shit-storm shows the woman picking up children from school in a standard red Ford van while wearing decisively masculine clothes; namely a shirt, tie, waist-coat and jacket.

Why the hell in 2012 does a supposedly progressive country need to resort to such pre-Vietnam war bullshit just to instil into the general public that it is OK for a bored housewife to take on a menial task as a subsidiary living to her husband's main income. The very implications of this national fucking treasure have me seething.

On that note, of course we should all be bloody equals. I can't stand the whole old-fashioned nuclear family and I can't wait to actually be proud to live in some form of 'enlightened' society.

Good evening, the interwebz.

[Also you can now feel free to add any further suggestions. I still have a pending list but the more the merrier.]

No comments:

Post a Comment