Friday, August 6, 2010

Darryl Bruno (14th December 1989 - 4th August 2010)

On the 4th of August, the world lost a brilliant person. Possibly one of the coolest, most down-to-earth people I have ever met. My writing can certainly never begin to justify just what an incredible person he was, but I try anyway.

I remember when I first met him when I was 11 and he was 13. I was always a geek, I was always picked on and bullied as a young 'un, but he was always cool to me. He always treated me as an equal. There were only a handful of older kids that bothered to talk to the younger ones, let alone treat the outcasts as equals, I was blown away. One might say I looked up to him, both emotionally and literally, seeing as he was a foot taller at least.

He went through so many phases since then, some more amusing than others. I remember there was a time when he used to play the trombone and he was pretty much obsessed with the village feast; then I remember his rapper phase; I also remember his DJ phase. When he left school, and I stopped seeing him twice a day, he began his "rocker" phase. Long hair, beard, guitar, drums, screaming vocals and loud music - the works.

It was in the last 3 years or so that he probably really discovered himself, seeing as he stuck with this lifestyle and made many good friends, none of which had anything negative to say about him. He was an awesome person to everyone.

I saw him a couple years later, about a year ago, and we had only spoken a little online since we stopped seeing each other but we both recognised each other. It took him about 2 minutes to come up to me yelling "AAAWWWW MATE!", in his signature fashion. I saw him maybe six time this year, the last of which being a month ago. He was looking progressively worse but I always attributed it to him being drunk and/or high. I didn't know of his more serious health problems.

Those bastards got him in the end and here we are. I can't possibly say all I would have said to him given one more opportunity to speak to him, I just know that I bawled like a little girl who just got her period at his funeral. But now let's stop mourning his death and start celebrating his life. As is written in a song by one of his favourite bands, Killswitch Engage, "I mourn for those who never knew you".

Until we meet again, I will miss you and keep you alive in my memory and in my heart Darryl, see you mate.

4 comments:

  1. lovely words babe thank you pls follow his group on face bk we have made for him
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=103964746327586&ref=ts

    thank you
    jo xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice thing to do for him , he was a good person and a good friend , allways ther to help whenever he could , i knew bruno f or 6 yr before he went away , we hang out as friends in group listening to him play gitar or watch movies or play ps2 at that time then i found i boyfriend and i stoped going out with that group of friends i was only 16 i deletet my msn and hi5 so i lost contact with lots of friends 2ys later i was single again in 2010 i made fb and reconected with my past friends , he was one of them , he talked to me instently saying hey xanna !! Xp neq he liked doing .that exp hehe 2 days before he died he talked to me but i didnt replay back to his hey since i was busy and he went ofline , 2 days after i got a call saying bruno died i said stop jokeing ,pls that my friend said no it isnt a joke my eyes were tearing up i said no come on died how omg!! 4ys later i stil cant understand how did he die :( pls if u can answore back thx B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't believe it when they told me on Facebook either. Thank you for the comment.

      Delete
    2. He was from calgary right and had a band called the golden calgarians

      Delete