Monday, September 19, 2011

How I write through writer's block.

How do writers who are writing on commission with deadlines and timetables to cater to actually manage to write constantly? I think most of their talent isn't actually focussed on the writing itself, but rather the ability to gather inspiration from anything. Especially when faced with the least inspiring of conditions and situations possible.

I am currently alone in a tiny classroom where I have been for the last hour waiting for my student to arrive. I can almost assume that he is never showing up for school again but seeing as he hasn't actually told the school that and he has actually paid for this week, I am currently still on the roster for this week. I will therefore wait for him here for a few more minutes before going downstairs to inform the office that he has not shown up, then I will take a massive crap. The kind of crap that will make all other craps think, "Holy crap!"

Has inspiration really reached the bottom of the barrel when I start to make jokes based entirely on the subject of talking excrement? I really want to try and work on writing regularly for the main reason that I would love to have a proper semi-professional blog and/or column in some magazine or newspaper, but at the rate my inspiration tends to go, I will never keep to the deadlines. I'll also have one good article to 4 shit ones.

Does writing through writers' block make for good writing or does it look like I'm struggling? As I type, I have also realised as that, when I'm trying to write through the block, I tend to go back and delete and edit things I'm typing. When I'm inspired to write, I never do that. Usually I just start writing and then see where it leads me. If you notice, in my regular posts, I start writing about something irreverent that will then lead to a serious point in the conclusion. I don't foresee this happening now, but who knows? Maybe I will turn into a pocket Socrates by the end of it.

...

Nope. No philosophy. Sometimes I just set you up for disappointment.

Good afternoon, interwebz. xx

[What really happened was I was told I was pretty much waiting for nothing and I went to help out in the office just before I published this. Nice timing, Roberta. Oh and I shat at home. It was good.]

No comments:

Post a Comment