Thursday, November 10, 2011

Marriage

When I was a ratty teen, I used to be against marriage outright. I used to think that it was just a useless union that only led to the possibility of pain and arguments. That all it was good for was making unfortunate children's lives shit. Then again the only model of marriage I had was my parents'.

When I grew out of my Linkin Park days, I started to mature slightly in opinion but I still wasn't too keen on accepting marriage as a viable option for my future. I used to think that it wasn't necessary. Isn't a relationship still a relationship whether justified by matrimony or not?

Nowadays I still think it is just another step in a relationship. It is not necessary but, then again, most things aren't really necessary, are they? It is a tradition that a couple feel obliged to take after a certain security in a relationship. I'm fine with this. In the end, why not? If you are happy in a relationship, why not consider marriage?

Let's look at this from my warped point of view. You love someone; you've been together for a long time. You know that you want to spend the rest of your life with them. Marriage isn't really needed, but it would be quite a sweet gesture, don't you think? Why not call the woman who has kept you happy for as long as you've been together your wife? Plus, what woman doesn't want to be pampered and feel like a princess to that extent? The whole ceremony, the dress, the suits, all the friends and family. Why not, really?

Of course, one should never enter into a marriage as nonchalantly as I'm talking about it. It's all fine to talk about marriage like this except when you're actually considering getting engaged. Don't enter into it like a it's a fad, enter into it knowing that this is the person you will spend the rest of your life with. Then if it all goes cock-up, you'll know you couldn't have helped it.

Final word: marriage is not evil, however it is a pleasant detail. It is not necessary, but why not if you're already happy and you know you want to spend your life with the person? The most important thing is to be able to call your partner your best friend, and you'll be fine.

Good morning/afternoon the interwebz

3 comments:

  1. Wow! ..very very well said!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers =) Any suggestions? I still have like 5 more to write but you'll get yours at a point.

    ReplyDelete