Monday, October 31, 2011

Success

I don't want to write about Marriage, Self-Esteem or Breakups so I'll write a mediocre at best post about arguably the most boring suggestion -no offence to the person who suggested it- Success. Oh and before I start, can the people suggesting things as "Anon" please put a name or anything that I can refer to since I actually like talking to people, not anonymous speakers. You all have an identity, use it.

So let's start by splitting success into two separate sub-genres. Monetary success and social success. Professional success is usually aimed at the former, however one cannot have proper money if they are not well-known so one can easily conclude that the two are very strongly related.

The problem with success in itself, whether monetary or social, is that the greedy nature of man will make them hungry for it. A successful man will always strive for even more success. this is not a bad thing by any means until it is taken over by the greed and the whole "end justifies the means" mentality crops up. I come from a family of intellectuals and professionals in many fields like law, medicine, business, etc. Some of them work for the joy of the work and success simply follows because they are good at what they do; others are money-hungry pricks.

This is the reason why most people say that you can either have a professional life or a social life. Work can take over every aspect of your life and if you aren't careful, it will very easily. The other vice is when your social life itself becomes dependent on your work life. Your friends are all workmates or competitors in the same field which are trying to beat you at something anyway. One must find a careful balance.

What do I know about success though? I have just recovered from my lull in school productivity after about 7 years of failing constantly. That's not what I would call success, that's just a personal victory. Yay me.

I could go into the ethical issues about success and whatnot, but I would just bore you to shit and you don't want that. That's what you get when you ask a 19 year old to write about success.

Good morning, the interwebz.

7 comments:

  1. "So let's start by splitting success into two separate sub-genres"

    The word 'genre' can only be used when referring to sub-categories of artistic compositions or fields.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the word "interwebz" is purely made up. Point? They're words. I reserve the right to use them any way I please. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eh, I guess you're absolutely Cappuccino....

    ;)

    Within context.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Contextually, 'genre' still fit. In your case, 'Cappuccino' is simply a surreal comment. However, it amused me so well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "You all have an identity, use it."

    How about a post about anonymity?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thinking about it, thank you for affirming that people would like to read about it. Now how about you tell me your first name?

    ReplyDelete